ETHICAL FASHION

July 06, 2017


I was never aware of the true cost of "fast" fashion and the impact that it has on the environment and human rights. After watching a video by LaMadelynn on Ethical Fashion and the documentary on Netflix "The True Cost", I realize how cruel the industry can be and I begin to research more on ways to be more ethical when it comes to buying clothing. To become more aware of the items of clothing I buy and from which stores to buy.

LaMadelynn Youtube Video

The True Cost documentary shows the reality behind the fashion factories in "third-world" countries. These factories are violations of international human rights and labor laws, utilization of child labor, and/or immense environmental destruction. The documentary follows factories workers in countries like Bangladesh, China, and Cambodia as well as activists in these countries and Western countries sharing their experiences working in these factories and the effects it has on the workers and the environment. It is heart-breaking to see the cruelty, abuse, and unsafe situation that workers in these factories have to deal with in order for us to get a $5 shirt or $20 jeans.
Image result for the true cost

I took upon me to research more on ethical clothing brands. You need to be aware that buying ethical clothes will be much more expensive than the clothing you are used to buying. Yet, I believe that it is an investment and somehow it would have a positive impact on our environment. I think that building a closet with essential pieces will not only make getting dressed easier but it will declutter and force you to buy essential items of clothing that you will actually use and that will last longer than a $5 dollar shirt from Walmart.

The following list of ethical clothing stores was gathered from Joo Joo Azad and Anuschkarees blogs and from my own research, so check them out. They have more information on ethical fashion and clothing brands that are unethical.

1. New Classic Studios
2. Osborne
3. Garmentory: this is an online source for emerging and contemporary fashion. 
4. First Rite: this store is based in Los Angeles, CA.
5. Black Crane: is a brand by Alexander Yamaguchi and Momoko Suzuki and it is inspired by Japanese culture and civilization.
6. ModCloth

There are other ways that you can also help end with the human cruelty and environmental effect. If you are like me, I can't afford many of these clothes, so instead go to a thrift store or buy from online stores like Thred Up and Etsy, and maybe even making your own clothes.
This is a process and it can't be eliminated overnight, I am not a big shopper but now I can become more conscious of what I buy and where I buy it. I hope this information helps you.

Thank you for stopping by and have a blessed day!


You Might Also Like

0 comments