Illustrator of the Month: Fran Meneses

October 02, 2017


Illustrator:
Fran Meneses
By Maria Flores. Issue 1, October 2017

A freelance illustrator and author, Fran Meneses is currently based in Hastings, UK. She finished her BA in Graphic Design at the Diego Portales University in Santiago, Chile.

I first stumbled upon Fran Meneses' illustrations on her Youtube Channel "Frannerd" where she documents her life as a full-time freelancer in the UK and to tell you the truth I could listen to her talk for hours. Her warm personality, humor, and visible passion for her career have made her channel feel like a safe place to talk among friends. Her topics range from motivation to the hardship of moving to a new country and finding inspiration in the simple moments of life.

It is an honor for me to have Fran Meneses as the first guest of this series and I hope you as the reader find this an inspiring series.


Could you tell us something about your childhood years?

"When I was little, I wanted to be Sailor Moon so bad that I put a moon shaped sticker on my cat's forehead. It didn't end up really well."

Related image
Fran Meneses

How do you stay motivated to paint/draw?

"For me, motivation is such an important quality because no matter how you are emotional or physically in your career and personal life you can't lose motivation. I think motivation is such a personal thing and it depends on what works best for you.

In order, for me to stay motivated throughout the day, I do the following: (1) I make a list of all the things I need to do in a day. By having a list, I will know exactly when my work is over and it forces me to complete my tasks. Also, the satisfaction that I feel after completing my "to-do" list is priceless. (2) I take breaks throughout the day to recharge myself. (3) I listen to podcasts, such as; Being Boss and Invisible Office Hours. (4) I make sure to have a clean and organized desk. So, at the end of the day, I would clean and organize my desk for the next morning."

[For more tips on motivation, check Fran's Youtube video]

When did you realize you wanted to pursue illustration/design?

"I started drawing when I was a little girl. Back then, my main reference (and hero) was Sailor Moon. I became very good at drawing anime, but it was not until my third year of college that I decided to find my own style and developed an identity as an illustrator."

What does a typical day at work look like?

"A typical day at work looks different as a freelancer, not every day will be the same as the other. So, I usually wake up at 7:30 AM and do exercise such as; running or yoga. I usually take three breaks during the day, two of them are coffee breaks at 11 AM and 4:30 PM, I have a lunch break at 12:30 for about an hour. I officially start working around 10:30 AM on illustration and any other related project."

[ For more into Fran 'day at work' check this video]

portada Personas Favoritas. Un Libro Sobre La Amistad

Can you tell us a bit more about your new book "Personas Favoritas"?

"This book is about adult friendship. There are so many books about this topic for children and teens but not for adults and the hardships of making or keeping friends. Both my husband (Ed) and I, worked as a team with me doing the illustrations and Ed writing the stories."

Right now the book is only available in Spanish, check this video to learn more about the process of creating the book and where to buy it if interested.

Image result for Fran meneses

Disclaimer: All images and information used for this post belongs to Fran Meneses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Links:
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/frannerd/
Blog: http://sandianerd.blogspot.com/
Etsy Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/frannerd?ref=pr_shop_more
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/frannerd13/featured






You Might Also Like

0 comments